What are Some of Your Secrets?

What are Some of Your Secrets?

Adults,like children, are fascinated with secrets.  An article in the Wall Street Journal pointed out that 95% of people report having a fact or bit of information about themselves that they haven’t reveal to anyone.  They also noted that the other 5% of people probably lied in order to protect the idea that they had a secret about themselves.

Look at some of the classic tragic plays, such as Oedipus Rex.  Everyone in the audience knows that Oedipus is going to kill his father and marry his mother.  But it is not to be known by him.  If we are in the audience, we almost want to shout it out to him in order to protect him, but that would spoil the secret.

What about our fascination with spy or detective novels.  They not only transport us into another world, we are driven to finish the book to find out the secret the main character is trying to find out as well.

Think also about our fascination with People magazine.  It’s the most popular magazine in my waiting room.  We get to peek into the secret lives of our celebrities.  And if People magazine is too tame, we can always pick up a National Enquirer.  We just love to peek and know other people’s secrets.

Science is trying to unlock the secrets of the universe, and even of life itself.  We sent probes to Mars to try and unlock the secrets that planet holds, not only about itself, but about the universe as well.

Even to us adults, secrets are important.  But their primary importance seems to be the same as the secret the little girl, Mary, had in the last posting.  Our secrets are tied directly to our understanding of ourselves as a unique individual.  But eventually, as adults, our secrets will begin to turn against us and cause stress, and even guilt.  But that only means it is time to find someone we trust, someone to whom we can carefully share our secret.

(I have a fascinating book on Secrets – Title is “Secrets” written long ago by Paul Tournier, a Swiss psychiatrist.)

Question:  What are some of your secrets that you’ve never told anyone?  What keeps you from sharing your secrets?

This entry was posted in Living Life, Marriage & Family Matters. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to What are Some of Your Secrets?

  1. Patti Iverson says:

    Evelyn Iverson is now 98 yo and was talking with another psychologist here visiting us, Bill Pritchard, and they were talking about YOU, and your marvelous influence. Please email her–evelynmiverson@gmail.com. She’s lived with us, her son and dil for past 30 yrs. in Oregon. Thanks a lot!

  2. This piece of writing will help the internet users for creating new website or even a blog from start
    to end.

  3. Great site you have here.. It’s hard to find excellent writing like yours
    these days. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!

    Feel free to surf to my page – vet tech schools

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>